Monday, June 17, 2013

Look What I Made!

I know, I know, it's been over a month since I've made a post. Let's just say, the end of school was overwhelmingly hard this year. You see, I'm not returning to the classroom in the fall. I've taken a position with my district and Brigham Young University where I will be a Clinical Faculty Associate (CFA) and I will be instructing, mentoring, and evaluating teacher candidates, student teachers, and interns. Saying goodbye to my little darlin's was, to say the least, EMOTIONAL! I usually cry the last day of school, but this year was ridiculous! Turning my keys into my principal was a very hard thing for me to do as well. My school has been my family the past 11 years. My best friends are there. But, I've always wanted this position, so when it became available, I knew I had to try for it.
Also I had to be completely moved out of my classroom the following Friday after school got out. I had just moved to a new classroom last summer, so I thought, "no problem," because I had gone through all my files and "stuff" last summer, so how much could I have to pack, right? Well...you know the answer to that question! Between my husband's truck and the back of my CRV, we had several loads each. And now you should see my storage room! YIKES!
Anyways, let's get to the topic at hand. If you remember a couple of posts ago, I mentioned my son got engaged. Well, the wedding is next week! My husband and I are hosting the wedding (rehearsal) dinner the night before. We are having it catered by a local restaurant and having it at a lovely park (Mt. Timpagnogos Park) for you Utahn locals. I decided to make some centerpieces for the dinner tables, and thought I'd show them off. The wedding colors are mint and yellow. Let me know what you think.



Aren't they cute? They are super easy to make too! I found the strawberry baskets at Zurchers (a party supply store) and I knew I had to use them for the centerpieces. They're the perfect color. 
To make the pinwheels, you need a 6", 5", and a 4" square. Cut from each corner towards the middle as shown below.  Punch a hole in one of the corners of each triangle shape and one in the center as well.


Using a brad, pin, nail, etc., lift the side of the pinwheel with the hole and insert brad though. Repeat on the other sides. With the brad inserted into the paper, push the end of the brad into the center hole and unfold brad in the back. (See pics below)



I decided to not to have my pinwheels spin, so I just glued them onto the dowel. If you want them to spin, that's a little more complicated. (Since I'm making 18 of them, I decided I didn't have the time to make them spin.)
The rest of the project you can tell from first picture, is put lemon candies on the base and I used a floral oasis to stick the dowels in. Put a little ribbon around the perimeter of the basket and voila!







No comments:

Post a Comment