Monday, March 17, 2014

My Take on Great Dog Stories

OK, so the past four months have been pretty tough since our family lost this sweetheart.
So when I saw Amanda's Linky Party, I knew I had to join.

 I'm a sucker for dogs, and dog books are my favorite stories to share with my students. These two are among my favs.
If you haven't read this version (children's) of Marley, you MUST! It's the autobiographical story of the Grogan family and their dog Marley. Marley is full of mischievous adventures. He even gets kicked out of obedience school! I've read this book every year for the past 4-5 years. And every year the students can't wait until it's read aloud time each day. I don't have a class to read it to this year :(
Where the Red Fern Grows, is an absolute must-read classic! This is the story of a boy and his two hunting dogs. This story teaches so many lessons -- setting goals, perseverance, working hard, and most of all friendship and love. 
SPOILER ALERT:  You will need the hanky for both of these great books.

Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I am usually not good with books that require hankies! :) But, I am a sucker for a dog book so I'm going to have to get my hands on a copy of Marley. Thanks for linking up and sharing about it.
    I'm so sorry about the loss of your fur baby...what a beauty!


    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your loss! We have lost 3 dogs in that last 20 years...and everyone of them broke my heart. When I was teaching 4th grade several years ago, I read Where the Red Fern Grows (for the first time). I couldn't stop crying when I read it to them. I'm going to have to check out the Marley book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, WOW, three losses! I'm so sorry! I don't know if I can take another one, so we're "taking time in between fur babies." It's been four months, and I still think I hear her barking to be let out. I'm actually thinking of "renting a puppy" for a day to see if that fills my void.

      Delete