Thursday, March 1, 2012

Random Stuff

Here's what we've been working on this week. We have been doing Dr. Seuss centers for this whole week,  thanks to my winnings! (Check out previous post) 





Do any of you ever need help keeping students on task during guided reading? Last week when my team met with our instructional coach, we voiced our concerns about this problem. She suggested the following idea: Get marshmallows, M & Ms, or some little treat like that, and set all your expectations for the students.  Show them the treats and tell them you will keep them there by the book as long as they are meeting your expectations. When they don't meet your expectations, you eat the treat. I use beads instead of candy since we are a Gold Medal school - LOL see earlier post! Also I'd probably eating way too many goodies. The students then turn in their beads for some little thing like stickers, treasure chest, etc.




Giveaway at these two blogs -- check it out!


The 3AM TeacherMy Photo       

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!!!! One of my students once found a wolf spider in my classroom and I love science and allowing kids to observe. My student asked to keep it and I said...YES!! We had that spider all year. The kids would catch grasshoppers and other things once a week for the little guy to eat and the kids LOVED watching the spider eat. It got about 3x bigger and spun an egg sac (no hubby though...thank goodness). They learned so much about spiders that year and at the end of the school year, we let it go... Your spider pic. reminded me of our little pet..

    Thanks for the support...I am your newest follower,
    Michelle

    The 3AM Teacher

    ReplyDelete